To Call In the Airstrike, Please Press 2

Friday, June 24, 2005

Rebirth of the Rapping Algebra Teacher

OK, seriously. So we're multiplying fractions or whatever today in Algebra and it happens. Out of nowhere.

"...so we can see how to simplify rational numbers with exponents. Okay! Now - when I say data, you say base! Data!"

"Base!" says the class, wondering where the hell this is going.

"Data!

"Base!"

"When I say spread, you say sheet! Spread!"

"Sheet!"

"Data!"

"Base!"

"When I say add, you say subtract! Add!"

"Subtract!"

"Data!"

"Base!"

"Spread!"

"Sheet!"

"When I say micro, you say chip! Micro!"

"Chip!"

"Okay, now where can we find a microchip? Anyone? In our cell phones? Yes!! They're all around us! Now we're going to solve first degree equations."

Seriously, people. Are you more astounded that A: this yelling/rap preparation session came out of nowhere and disappeared just as curiously or B: that I actually have to take a class to learn this or C: I refrained from making any "All your base" jokes that no one would understand anyway?

By the way, I wrote all this down - I am NOT MAKING THIS UP.

Later in class:

"...So that's the Multiplication & Division Property of Equality. Is everybody with me? Good. When I say Who's on the Mic, you say My DATAbase is on the Mic! Who's on the Mic?"

"My db...."

"Oh, no! you people got no rhythm! try again, with some style! Who's on the Mic?"

After more coaching, we are able to perform the following:

"Who's on the Mic?"

"My DATAbase is on the Mic!"

"Is it doing all right?"

"It's information baby, BABY!"

"Who's on the Mic?"

"My SPREADsheet is on the Mic!"

"Is it doing all right?

"Rows and Columns, baby BABY!"

"All right then! Get into groups for the pre-quiz."

2 Comments:

  • Son of a bitch!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:18 AM  

  • See, this doesn't surprise me in the least. I'm pretty sure they give psychological exams to people who want to be math teachers, and the normal, healthy people are somehow weeded out either by force or will. All math teachers are fruit loops.

    By Blogger Beth, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home